Saturday, August 9, 2008

Totally Summer

As I sit here at the computer on this beautiful mid-August summer night the kids behind us are running around outside - screaming, laughing and playing flashlight tag I think. It hit me how far away from this I am getting. My kids don't run around in the summer darkness anymore playing some kind of game. Tonight Mackenzie is working and Alex is hanging out in the park with his friend Patrick and a couple of girls. And, it's been SO long since I ran around chasing lightening bugs. shooting baskets in the dark, and playing flashlight tag. I barely remember it until a night like tonight with all the windows open, a cool summer breeze, and the kids screaming outside brings it all back. What a feeling - total freedom, total energy, total joy, and totally summer!

Wait - Alex just came in with Patrick and Lauren. They're going to play Cornhole in the backyard! Maybe there's still a thread of childhood summer left at our house.

No comments: