Monday, August 18, 2008

Another "Small World" Encounter

Part of the reason I started this blog was to track the times that I ran into or reconnected with old friends or people from my past since people tell me that happens to me more than anyone else they know - and usually in unusual ways. Well, it hasn't happened in awhile but tonight I had another "coincidental reconnection" . . .

We went up to Ashland tonight for Mackenzie's first soccer game of the season. We won. As we were standing in the parking lot talking to my parents who came to the game, an Ashland parent called out to us "good luck with the rest of your season" to be nice. He started to get in his car but Dwight called over to him with a question about their team. The guy came over to us and started talking. All of a sudden, I realized that I was talking to Parrish Lanzer -- a friend from grade school and high school. We played in the orchestra together from 4th grade through Senior year. His daugther was the Ashland goalie. The funny thing is that I would never have known it was him if he hadn't made his "good luck" comment and Dwight asked him a question. It's weird to think that the whole game I was watching the daughter of a good friend from school play soccer and almost didn't even known it. Makes you wonder how many other "close encounters" you have with people from your past that you never know about!

No comments: