Monday, June 9, 2008

Phoenix Rose

There is a huge rosebush outside the front door that must have at least 40 roses or soon-t0-bloom roses! It's really beautiful and even more so to me because the rose bush was a mother's day present to me a few years ago. The thing is . . . it shouldn't be here blooming like it is. Last fall the bush looked really dead. It was very small and mainly brown - brown, hard stem, brown leaves. I decided that I needed to dig up what remained and throw it away. But, somehow, I never got around to it. Winter came and then spring. In April I noticed some growth earlier so decided to spare its life. Mainly again I was just too busy to do anything with it. I got busy and didn't really look at it until a few days ago. Now, you can't miss it as you come up the front walk! It's at least 4 ft tall and weighted down by all the blooms and buds! I have never seen a rose bush with so many blossoms! Like a Phoenix it rose from the ashes and a close call with the trash can! When I look at it, it's more than a beautiful rose bush, it's evidence of the magic that come spring, we can bloom and grow again no matter how down we've been.

No comments: