Monday, June 30, 2008

Different Sports for Different Folks

I can't believe June is over. The summer is passing me by, it seems. I haven't been paying too much attention to anything but work. I need to get refocused on looking for the good and the magic every day. I can tell the difference when I don't.

Probably the most "magical" thing I've experienced lately was over the weekend when I saw three sporting events I have never seen before. One was fencing. Luanne's son was attending a fencing camp at OSU. I'd never seen a fencing match(?) before. It's strange watching something that you have no clue about the strategy or how it is scored. But, it was very interesting -- and interesting to know that a lot of kids are interested in this ancient sport. While looking for the place where the fencing camp was being held, I went into the wrong building and came upon the Special Olympics girls gymnastics competition. I had never seen a Special Olympics event. I was amazed at the determination and sheer joy exhibited by the girls as they competed in front of hundreds of people. It was also moving to see the pride on the faces of their families. Then, leaving the OSU campus I drove past a competitive tree climbing competition! I didn't know there was such a sport! Even though I'm not fond of heights I love climbing trees! I used to spend my days climbing the many fruit trees in my yard in Copley and sit for hours high up in the boughs eating apples and cherries! Seeing that competition brought back some great tree climbing memories!

No comments: