I think words can be fascinating - where they come from, what they mean, how they sound, "double-meanings" . . . The other day I experienced an interesting play on words. The Weight Watcher leader at work sent an email explaining that a new session starts in January and at that meeting you can join Weight Watchers or resign. I did a double take. I have to resign from Weight Watchers? Can I really?!! Then, I realized she meant - "re-sign" as in enroll again. It got me thinking about how it's sort of ironic that one word spelled the same can mean very different, almost opposite, things. I can "re-sign" or rejoin (a weight loss group) or I can "resign" as in "quit" (the weight loss group)or, I can resign myself or "give in to the inevitable" as another definition the dictionary gives. In other words, I can resign myself to a life of weight watching! Just a little word magic to liven up a dull dreary winter day.
Words I like because of how they sound: Serendipity, circuitous, juxtaposition, malaria, ironic, charisma, myriad, cello, clairvoyant, panorama, conundrum, phenomenal
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I fear I may have to resign myself to a life of weight watching...
Post a Comment