Monday, December 22, 2008

The Greatest Gifts


One thing I really dislike about Christmas is giving gifts for the sake of giving gifts. To me, the greatest gifts are when you find something you know someone is going to really love or you know it's something they really need. To me the best gifts are:

* Homemade gifts - Giving them and receiving them. When I was a kid, I used to make everyone a gift. I got so much joy out of that. I could hardly wait for them to open my homemade gifts. I wouldn't even care about opening my own presents. I have to admit, some of the gifts were gifts only a mother (or grandmother) could love! Today I gave my ski friends the scrapbooks I made. I was so excited to give them!

* Gifts from someone who really "gets you" - A few years ago, I had a friend, Allison, that I exchanged gifts with. We always got each other the fun, quirky, hobby-related gift that no one else would think of to get us but that we always loved.

* A gift that someone really needs - These days, when people need something, they just go out and buy it. That makes gift-giving even harder.

* A gift from someone you don't expect to get a gift from - To me, that means they really appreciate you for something or found something they just knew you'd love. For example, today I unexpectedly got an edible arrangement of flowers made of fruit from some facilitators on my team that I worked with a lot this year. They thanked me for all my hard work with them this year. Very special to me!

* A letter - A letter sharing a story, family history, a happy memory, feelings, etc. are wonderful gifts that mean so much. One year, a distant cousin shared a bunch of family history with me for Christmas. This year, Alex wrote his girlfriend a poem for Christmas. I didn't get to read it (too embarassing for him he said) but what a sweet thing for a 15 year old boy to do! I hope she loves it!

* A gift that makes a dream come true - See horse story below.

No comments: