Friday, May 9, 2008

What is Everyday Magic

One of the things I miss most from my childhood is that sense of magic you had every day. You know - when you believed that elves lived in the roots of trees in mushroom houses, that Santa really flew around the world and came down your chimney, and that little tiny rock bands were inside your car's radio playing tunes. At least that's what was magic to me. Then, you grow up and the magic is gone. There's hardly any reason to use your imagination at all and if you do, people look at you pretty strangely. I decided that one way to bring back a sense of the magic of childhood in life is to look for "magic" every day. What I mean by "magic" at this time in my life (4th decade!) are those things that cause a laugh, sense of wonder, a sense of "coincidence" or serendipity. Just something that makes you look at the world in a different way. One thing I consider everyday magic is finding pennies. I've decided they are my "magic" symbols- a message to me from childhood - look for the magic, it's here in little special ways if you just look for it. So the purpose of this blog is to help me be aware of everyday magic and record what I find.

3 comments:

tinotchka said...

Wait a minute - what are you implying about Santa?!

cb said...

Sorry to break it to you . . .

Anonymous said...

I still believe fairies live in mushrooms...don't you?

I do not believe in coincidences, I believe everything happens for a reason!

Have you seen the movie Serendipity? with John Cusack.... GREAT GREAT movie!!! you will LOVE IT!!!

I love this BLOG, you were right!