Sunday, January 9, 2011

My Innermost Being and Reality

Magic came my way today as it often does, via Facebook. Someone posted this quote and it really struck a chord with me, it really resonated with the way I've been feeling lately.

"People say that what we’re all seeking is a meaning for life.... I think what we’re really seeking is an experience of being alive, so that our life experiences on the purely physical plane will have resonance within our innermost being and reality, so that we can actually feel the rapture of being alive."-Joseph Campbell

I have such a longing to be in Spain and to travel. I've never understood why or why it drives me so crazy, why the attraction to these things. This quote gave me what Oprah calls "an aha moment." I realized that Spain and travel are life experiences that resonate with my "innermost being and reality" and when I'm in Spain or when I'm traveling I feel the "rapture of being alive."

I think some people have this "innermost being and reality" stronger than others. Having it so strongly can be both a blesing and a curse. It's a blessing because when you have those life experiences you feel the rapture and it's like nothing else. But, it's a curse because when you don't have those life experiences, when you are not living them, you feel a terrible longing and discontent. You feel like you are not living the life you should be. I kind of envy those people who don't feel something so strongly.

This quote was magic for me today because I can put a label on my longing and discontent. Spain and traveling abroad are the life experiences that resonate with my innermost being. Maybe I'll never know why these things are my reality but they are. So, the magic I'm seeking now are how to get more of these life experiences.

1 comment:

Michele B said...

Hi Connie!!!
I love your blog....and I agree 100% with what you are saying.....life is about doing things that make us come alive....I think that is when we are the most "God like".
Here is a very very weird coincidence....look on my blog.....we are for sure kindred spirits with the same background and purpose.
I love when those synchronicities happen.
thanks for leading me this way to your blog!!!!!
Namaste,
Michele