When I was in seventh grade we had to write several kinds of poems and make a poetry book. One of my favorite types of poems was the Acrostic poem where you write a word vertically and start the beginning of each line of the poem with each letter of the word. The poems are usually very succinct. I wrote one acrostic poem with the word SPRING -
Soft
Pitter-pattering
Rain
In a
Newly blossomed
Garden
My teacher told me I should get it published someday. A few weeks ago I saw an ad for a writing contest sponsored by the Westerville Library as part of Celebrate the Arts month. I decided to enter the contest with that poem but I felt like it wasn't enough so I wrote an acrostic poem for each of the four seasons. Yesterday I got a call that I am a finalist in the contest. I get to go to the Westerville Library in a couple of weeks where they will announce the winners and we get to read our work. The paper is going to be there, too, and all entries will be bound in a book! I think this means I will either get 1st, 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention. No matter what I'm really excited to be a finalist and my poems will be published in the book! I feel like it's a dream come true in a small way - just to have a little tiny success as a writer! I always liked to write poems and I always thought it was something I was pretty good at. It makes me think of my Grandpa Sarver who liked to write poems. I think he'd be proud!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment