Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Knife

When my brother Kenny and I were younger, we had a toy that was an orange, rubber knife. I'm not sure why we had it. It probably came with some toy set. During high school for some reason we started playing a game where we would hide the knife somewhere the other person would accidentally find it when they least expected it - the shower, under their pillow, etc. When I went away to college my freshman year, I had forgotten about the knife. One day when I had been away for about 3 weeks I was feeling really homesick so I went to a practice room at the Conservatory to play my violin. When I opened the case,there was the knife! I remember crying and laughing at the same time. It was like a visit from home! Sometime over the years, we lost the orange knife. I kept thinking it would turn up but it never did. For Kenny's 40th birthday I found a similar black rubber knife online and gave it to him. Soon, the new knife was in circulation! At Thanksgiving, I hid it in his medicine cabinet. I asked him about it this past weekend when we were in Medina but he pretended to know nothing about it. Today, was starting out to be a bad day. I got little sleep last night and knew there were things I'd have to face today I didn't want to. As I reached into my purse, searching for something at the bottom, my hands gripped something rubbery. I pulled the object out and there was the knife! I burst into laughter! Suddenly, the day didn't look so bad!

1 comment:

tinotchka said...

It sounds like you and your brother have a wonderful relationship.