Friday, October 3, 2008

Senior Moment

Last night Dwight and I walked Mackenzie across the soccer pitch to be recognized for Senior night. It was our first "Senior Moment." This was the first of the moments to come this year when we celebrate the end of high school and get ready to move on. I thought I would be very emotional and I wasn't too bad! I hope I'm that good at graduation! As we walked across the field, I was just so, so proud. She made it! When she was five and just starting to play - with her jersey hanging down to her knees - I dreamt of her playing for her high school team someday and now it's almost over - that fast. Soccer has had a lot of ups and downs for her. She usually hasn't been the best on the team and we've had our struggles with playing time, coaches, etc. But she has always had a good attitude and tried so hard. She's shown so much character -- especially this year. And, she's made so many friends and had a lot of fun. It's been worth every penny we spent. Twenty years from now she won't remember who the starting players were or who won the awards. What she'll remember are the friends, the fun, and the life lessons she learned.

Last night was "magic." The weather was great, the team won AND coolest of all - she scored a goal! I also found out that she and a teammate who she's known a long time resolved some long-time, deep issues that ruined their friendship for the last couple of years. They are now friends again. That's about as good as it gets!

1 comment:

tinotchka said...

Congratulations, Mom. You done good. And congrats to Mac, too!