Saturday, November 28, 2009

Closure At Last

Today is truly magical. My heart is so full of emotion that I have to let it out in this blog. I have to write about closure that has just happened for me. Twenty-five years ago, in the fall of 1984, I studied abroad in Spain. For about 6 weeks of that semester I went out with a Spaniard I met named Juan Jose. It was a wonderful 6 weeks. Then, one day, he said he would call me and he didn't. When I tried to get in touch with him, he would not answer my calls. I finally saw him at a bus stop in Madrid and asked him what happened. He said nothing had happened. He would call me. He never did. And, I never saw or talked to him again. Until today. I was looking up friends from that semester in Madrid in Facebook and on a whim, typed in his name. It popped up! I sent him a fairly generic message. Then, today he responded back to me. He apologized for disappearing from my life in such a bad way back then and he explained to me all that he was feeling at that time. He was afraid of the feelings he had knowing I was leaving. He seemed really happy to hear from me now. It's hard to explain what this means to me. It was a very painful thing to happen back then, so far from home. All those years I wondered why he did what he did. But now I know. I have closure.

No comments: