Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Unexpectedly Rediscovering Your Passion

I'm writing about yesterday's magic today. This magic (after a long time from being away from here!) came during a potluck dinner we had for the ESL class I help teach. It was so fun being with all of these people from other countries, tasting their food, and getting to know them better. A couple of them told me that I was a good teacher. I realized how much I love doing this. That this is my passion. Then a memory came back to me from my childhood of a game I used to play that foreshadowed this passion. I had forgotten all about this.  Being at times a "weird kid" I used to play a game called International School with all of the dolls my grandma had brought me from her travels around the world (I also realized I must get my wanderlust from her!). I gave all the dolls authentic names from their countries that I researched in the encyclopedia and books from the library (pre-Internet!). I also came up with a "back-story" for each one - what city they were from, what their houses were like, etc. All of these "students" had come to my "international boarding school!" So, I was also normal and played with Barbies but this was my own private game.Last night when this memory came back to me I realized how those things from our childhood really are the roots of our passions but somehow get buried in the real world. I also realized that in some ways this ESL class is a manifestation of that International School game and living a passion. The magic to me was not only the good time I had last night but in that zing of electricity feeling that comes when you connect with a passion deep inside of you and you know that this is who you are and who you were meant to be!


No comments: